Subject: [Atmosphere] Manuscript ID: atmosphere-3855234 - Invitation to Review for Atmosphere
From: Atmosphere Editorial Office <[email-masked]>
To: "Sergey Y. Khomutov" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Atmosphere Editorial Office <[email-masked]>, Olena Dan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 11:13:42 +0200

Dear Dr. Khomutov,

Based on your background and expertise, we invite you to review the following 
manuscript for the journal Atmosphere 
(https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/). 

Type of manuscript: Article 
Title: Discovery about GPS positioning regular daily ionospheric 
scintillation disturbances
Authors: Janis Balodis *, Madara Normanda, Ingus Mitrofanovs
Special Issue: Geomagnetic Storms and Their Consequences: Advances in 
Prediction Models
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/special_issues/C88662063B

To publish the latest research without delay, we ask that reviews are 
completed within 1 week; however, you may accept and suggest an alternative 
completion date at the following link: 

https://susy.mdpi.com/user/review/review/64267278/4FQNvza5
 
You can also suggest a suitable colleague(s) to perform this review in the 
comment box at the above link.

Reviewers’ support is vital to scientific progress and the publication of 
high-quality research. Reviewers may benefit from vouchers (CHF 50 to CHF 
100), which can be used towards the cost of article processing charges (APCs) 
for manuscripts submitted to any MDPI journal and towards the cost of Author 
Services English language editing (https://www.mdpi.com/authors/english).

Our Peer Review guidelines as well as some useful advice on completing your 
review can be found at: https://www.mdpi.com/reviewers.

Please disclose any potential conflicts of interest you might have concerning 
the manuscript’s content or the authors.

The Abstract and additional notes can be found at the end of this email for 
your reference.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,
Dr. Olena Dan
Assistant Editor

MDPI Poland Sp. z o.o.
al. Jana Pawła II 43a,
31-864 Kraków, Poland
Tel: +48 12 298 47 99
www.mdpi.com
Data Protection Notes: https://www.mdpi.com/about/data-protection

Atmosphere received an increased CiteScore of 4.9.
 
Welcome to Read! 
Atmosphere Travel Award 2026
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/awards/3564
Atmosphere | Highly Cited Articles 2024
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/announcements/11828
Atmosphere | Highly Cited Reviews 2024 
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/announcements/11089
Editor's Choice Articles：
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/editors_choice

Disclaimer: The information and files contained in this message are 
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to 
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message in error, please 
notify me and delete this message from your system. You may not copy this 
message in its entirety or in part, or disclose its contents to anyone.

Unsubscribe:
https://www.mdpi.com/unsub/managesubscriptions/mail/a2hvbXV0b3ZAaWtpci5ydQ==/62641a7cfb8d0535c8995f68ac290d8387c75de2c6e6a13c0975089063219407

Manage your subscriptions:
https://susy.mdpi.com/user/manage_accounts

----------------------------------------- 
Manuscript details: 
Journal: Atmosphere 
Manuscript ID: atmosphere-3855234 
Type of manuscript: Article 
Title: Discovery about GPS positioning regular daily ionospheric 
scintillation disturbances  
Authors: Janis Balodis *, Madara Normanda, Ingus Mitrofanovs
Upper Atmosphere
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/sections/upper_atmosphere

Special Issue: Geomagnetic Storms and Their Consequences: Advances in 
Prediction Models
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/special_issues/C88662063B  

Abstract: The aim of this study was to find out whether, just like in March 
2015, daily regular GPS positioning disturbances caused by ionospheric scin 
tillations occurred in other months of the solar activity cycle 24. The GPS 
positioning 90-sec kinematic solutions of selected 46 month covering 11 years 
were used for search of regular daily scintillation events. The hypothesis on 
predictable regular daily ionospheric scintillation was tested. Discovered 
scintillation waves as a result of space weather impact with the siderial day 
regularity. It leads to conclusion of the radiation origin from the 
interplanetary media. The enhancement of radiation waves by solar activity is 
similar as it is for Pc1 waves. The regular daily ionospheric scintillation 
waves are recorded at any time of the day. In years of low solar activity in 
2010 and 2012, regular scintillation waves were not found. It cannot be 
claimed that the comparison of daily regular ionospheric scintillation cases 
over time with the mentioned Pc1 wave cases indicates any interrelation. 

Keywords: regular daily ionospheric scintillation; Pc1 waves; GPS positioning 
regular disturbance; enhancement by solar activity.

Note: We discourage reviewers from recommending citations of their own work 
when not clearly necessary to improve the quality of the manuscript under 
review. Please state in your comments to the editor if you recommend 
citations of your own work and the reason for this recommendation.

MDPI partners with Web of Science Reviewer Recognition Services (formerly 
Publons) to provide recognition for reviewers. Your credit will appear on Web 
of Science Reviewer Recognition Services after a final decision on the paper 
and once you have claimed your review on the Web of Science Reviewer 
Recognition Services website.

Disclaimer: This peer review request and the content of the manuscript are 
highly confidential. You must not distribute the manuscript, wholly or in 
part, to a third party.